How to apply
All applicants must submit a completed application form with supporting documents, as specified on the form. To apply you must:
- download the correct type of application form particular to the category of award for which you wish to apply. Applications can be downloaded from the Grant Application Forms page of this website. If you intend to apply to more than one category of award you will need to submit the appropriate application form for that category. Only applications submitted using the correct application form will be considered.
- gather all the supporting documents required. Details of how to do this, and what supporting documents to include, are listed on the appropriate application form
- have two referees willing to send letters to support your application. Please ask your referees to send their references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than midnight GMT on 31 March 2024. Applications not supported by two referees before the deadline will not be accepted.
- save as a pdf files the completed form and supporting documents. Please include your name and type of document when naming the pdf document. For example, K.Saleh_ApplicationForm , or K.Saleh_SampleOfWork
- submit your application and supporting documents on the “Apply Now” by the deadline specified the grant category you are applying for:
** 31 March 2024 is the deadline for all grant categories with the exception of the A3 grant category.
** The A3 Grant Category has two deadlines: 15 February 2024 for submitting an ‘Expression of Interest Form’ ; then shortlisted applicants must submit their A3 applications on 15 March 2024.
Your submission should include the application form and supporting documents requested in your particular form.
Please note that every year we get more applications than we can fund; hence, we regret not being able to consider any incomplete or late applications after the deadline.
We want to support high quality work that will help us meet our priorities. As such, we hope the following information will help you understand our application process and the information we need to consider for your grant request.
Before applying, please make sure you have carefully read the pages Who Can Apply
and Types of Grants we support. We are unable to fund work that does not help us meet our awards criteria as identified by Types of Grants we support.
Additionally, please read our Frequently Asked Questions page. If you are still in doubt, you can register to attend one of our upcoming Q&A sessions here!
Attend one of our Online ‘Question and Answer’ sessions
Online Question and Answer (Q&A) sessions will be organised by The Barakat Trust in both English and Arabic to help answer any queries prospect applicants may have.
To register to attend one of our Q&A session please visit our Grants home page.
Or you can visit our events page to attend our Q&A sessions or any of our events visit our Upcoming Events page
After you apply: How the application process works
Once The Barakat Trust receives your application, we will assess if all requirements have been met. This
includes checking if the application is complete; that it meets our criteria; has been submitted on time; and includes all required supporting documents and two references.
When all the above has been met, your application will be referred to The Barakat Trust’s Academic Advisory Committee.
The principal criterion of assessment is academic merit and significance. Other criteria include budget, feasibility, and dissemination of results.
Every year, The Barakat Trust receives applications for excellent and deserving projects that are more than it is able to fund. Therefore, we strongly encourage applicants to apply to as many funding bodies as possible, and not only to The Barakat Trust.
Once decisions have been made by the committee, all applicants will be informed in writing of the outcome of their applications as soon as possible after the grants meeting.
The decision of the Academic Advisory Committee is final.
** Please note that, because of the early date of Ramadan in 2024, applicants are unlikely to learn the outcome before the end of May 2024.