© Richard Wilding
Explore Cairo’s Islamic Art and Architecture
The Barakat Trust
Monday 2 March – Sunday 8 March 2020
7 days, 6 nights in Cairo, Egypt
“He who has not seen Cairo has not seen the world. Its dust is gold; its Nile is a wonder; its houses are palaces; its air is temperate; its odor surpassing that of aloewood and cheering the heart: and how could Cairo be otherwise, when she is the Mother of the World?”
The 1001 Nights
Together with The Barakat Trust, who have supported heritage projects in Cairo for the past 30 years, you will meet scholars, restorers, architects, craftspeople, designers and specialists on the heritage, culture and art of Cairo, who will share their city with you and show you Cairo as few have seen it before.
While exploring Historic Cairo, discover current initiatives preserving, transforming and adding to the vibrancy of this age-old city as well as getting a real insider tour of behind the scenes experiences, visits to private homes, hidden jewels, and meeting captivating people
Highlights of the tour will include:
- Visits to The Barakat Trust’s grantee led restoration and community empowerment projects;
- A visit to a privately restored 17th century mansion that was saved from demolition and now serves as a centre for community focused cultural education and discovery in historic Cairo;
- Experience the hustle and bustle of the “Street of Tentmakers” and learn about the applique art known as khayamiyya;
- A visit to the Rare Books and Special Collections Library at the American University in Cairo for a special tour with the curators of photographic collections;
- A tour of Cairo’s most creative art and craft galleries with Yasmine El Dorghamy, editor of El Rawi heritage review, and a specialist both on Modern Egyptian Art and Traditional Egyptian Jewellery;
- Visit to the Museum of the Adam Henein, one of the Egypt’s foremost sculptors, and the Ramses Wissa Wassef Arts Centre (Weaving and Ceramics) – both internationally acclaimed;
- A tour of a number of private residences designed by leading Egyptian contemporary architects (from Hassan Fathy, (1900-1989) to today;
- Discover the real story behind the development of Downtown Cairo, its patrons and buildings, and see some of the remnants of the splendid 19th century city, with Ahmed El Bindary, its foremost authority;
- And much, much, more…
Fayoum with The Barakat Trust (Optional)
Sunday 8 March – Tuesday 10 March 2020
Only a 100km away from the hustle and bustle of Cairo. Fayoum is renown for its fertile lands, its flora and fauna as well, as its famous pottery.
To find out more, get a full itinerary and book a place, please download the booking form and email to email@example.com
Cairo Trip 2020 Booking Form 308.50 KB 82 downloadsCairo Trip 2020 with The Barakat Trust Booking Form. Complete the form and return...
To view the Cairo Trip Highlights please download them!
To view the Cairo Trip Daily Itinerary please download them!
To view the Fayoum Trip Daily Itinerary please download them!
Already in Cairo and still want to attend, but do not need accommodation then use the daily booking form below.
Price per person from £3,190 for Friends of The Barakat Trust or £3,544 for non-members of The Barakat Trust. The price includes: Tour guide from arrival at the airport throughout the tour, Six nights accommodation, all meals, all transport in a luxury air-conditioned coach, all entry guide fees.
Not included: flights for clients, travel insurance, meals not listed, incidental costs, such as laundry, alcoholic drinks with meals and visa fees.
All income generated from the inclusive donation will fund the charitable activities of The Barakat Trust.
Please note that the itinerary is subject to change. These changes can happen with little notice due to availability, poor weather, or other circumstances beyond our control.